QMIC’s Systems & Technologies Played a Key Role in Supporting the FIFA World Cup 2022
Doha, Dec. 25th, 2022
December 18th, 2022 marked the end of an exceptional and successful world football tournament that will undoubtably be remembered as a major highlight in Qatar’s history for years to come. Qatar Mobility Innovations Center (QMIC), a leading national innovations center focusing on using R&D to enable sustainable, smart, and safe living, has successfully worked with key local and international stakeholders to deploy a number of its home-made smart solutions and services to support realizing a successful and enjoyable World Cup event. This culminated effort spent by QMIC in the last few years was to develop large scale technology platforms and data networks for supporting Mega Events like the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
In support of the World Cup, QMIC worked closely with organizers and multiple stakeholders to deploy and operationally support several intelligent platforms and applications which include:
- Intelligent Journey Planner: QMIC worked closely with the global organizers to provide a customized intelligent journey planner, which was extensively used during their World Cup operations for trip planning and navigation from and to multiple vital locations in Doha during the tournament. In particular, more than 300 thousand requests were made to this customized platform from mid Nov. to mid Dec. 2022.
- Digital Parking System: QMIC worked with the tournament organizers to install and operate its digital parking system, powered by QMIC’s Falcon-I Artificial Intelligence Platform, across all 8 stadiums and 3 major park and ride locations in Doha. This intelligent system provided organizers with a great deal of insights into parking utilization and real-time occupancy levels on match days and throughout the tournament. This was a critical system that supported parking and mobility operations around stadium, which was integrated with the main operations control center of the tournament. This real-time information was also exposed to Wain mobile users which provided important information for the fans using their vehicles to reach the stadia parking in a smooth and intelligent way by guiding them to the most suitable parking.
- Smart Intersection Monitoring isanother system powered by QMIC’s Falcon-I platform. QMIC provided a comprehensive solution to road operators which helps in monitoring intersections and highways efficiently, complimenting existing CCTV infrastructure. This solution enabled the automatic monitoring and detection of yellow box violations at intersections, as well as measuring traffic pile-up and queue length. These services were accessed by road operators at several intersections and in real-time to take any necessary actions.
- Wain Mobile Platform: several versions of the popular Wain mobile application (used by more than 135 thousand users during the event) were released a few days prior and throughout the tournament. These versions introduced many important features related to the World Cup and enabled an enjoyable fan experience in terms of optimized navigation, accessing real-time parking availability, providing information about, points of interest, the delivery of customized push notifications based on the user interests, and the ability to update road closures and openings in Wain in near real-time, etc… The diverse and rich Wain content and map data were successfully managed through QMIC’s newly developed Content & Alert Management System (CAMS).
- Traffic Dashboards and Analytics: utilizing QMIC’s own intelligent mobility analytics platform (Masrak) and its extensive data collection network which collects tens of millions of data records a day, daily reports of traffic movements, trends, behaviors, and heatmaps were generated. These reports were shared with key partners and stakeholders to assess the performance and the resiliency of the Qatar Road network throughout the tournament and take any necessary actions.
On this occasion, Dr. Adnan Abu-Dayya, QMIC CEO & Executive Director, “After many years of planning, R&D, and the development of scalable digital platforms and applications, we are extremely happy with our ability to deploy and operate many of these platforms in support of the World Cup. The knowledge created and local technology systems developed as part of this process are visible examples of the sustainable legacy created by the World Cup. I want to sincerely thank my colleagues at QMIC who worked tirelessly before and during the tournament to ensure 100% availability and reliability of our digital platforms and applications. A big thank you is also extended to local and international organizers and other stakeholders who relied on us to support their operational needs. We would also like to extend our appreciation to the tens of thousands of Wain users who benefited from the application and helped us introduce more services and content to support their needs”.
QMIC’s experience and contributions to this global momentous tournament is an important indicator of the role that locally developed technologies can play in supporting mega events given the chance. QMIC will continue to work closely with strategic partners and national stakeholders to ensure and enable the success of future mega events and projects in Qatar and the region.
The Qatar Mobility Innovations Center (QMIC) is the first independent innovations center in the region with a focus on using R&D to develop and deploy Intelligent Mobility and Smart Cities platforms and technologies. QMIC’s main goal is to use locally engineered innovations & knowledge to enable creating home-grown technology industries that address national strategies and tackle regional emerging challenges. It was founded by Qatar University in 2009 and is registered and licensed to operate as a technology innovations center from the Qatar Science and Technology Park (QSTP).
Since 2009, QMIC has been utilizing emerging technologies including Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence, and Location-Awareness to deliver data-centric platforms and services. In particular, QMIC has been leading in delivering platforms & solutions focusing on key domains including Intelligent Transport, Logistics & Telematics, Road Safety, and Connected & Autonomous Mobility (CAM).
Through its integrated innovations development & delivery model, QMIC represents a unique and important category within the national Research & Development & Innovations (RDI) enterprise in Qatar that is strategically driven, R&D-based, solution-focused, and business-oriented
For further information please contact Mr. Abdulrahman Ajjawi